Wednesday, July 30, 2008

It's beginning to look a lot like...


July 30: I was so glad to see that the Americana/ Fourth of July merchandise was being clearanced today so that Cracker Barrel has room to put out all of its CHRISTMAS MERCHANDISE. Clearly, I am already behind in my holiday shopping. Maybe it is because three weeks of consecutive 100 degree days in central Texas (with the added bonus prediction of at least another month of this heat) have caused my brain to slow down. Silly me! I thought it was still summer.
Apparently, even the good people at Michael's got the memo before I did. I stopped there next to get a summery arrangement for my guest bedroom. Lucky me: summer merchandise is 70-90% off so they have room to frantically unpack and shelve Halloween, Thanksgiving and Christmas products all at once. Just watching the frenzy made me not merry.
No wonder so many people lead such frantic lives. Are we really expected to begin planning for holidays that are respectively 3, 4 and 5 months down the road? To quote my sister, R, "This is making my heart beat too fast!"
Couldn't we just enjoy the sweet smell of new crayons on the back-to-school aisles without having to pass Christmas stockings? How about being able to select a new pink camoflauged lunchbox without backing into Halloween candy that is sure to be especially fresh in 3 months?
Presidental canidates: are you listening? Maybe we need some promises to keep Pilgrims and Turkeys in their places until new backpacks are showing a little wear.
Happy Back-to-School. And that's all I'm going to say until a few more pages on the calendar turn.

No comments: