Sunday, October 18, 2009

Weekend Update

Waiting in the Kansas City airport to fly home to Austin. Making the lazy-woman's-blog using bullets.
  • After competing in the 5K at the Kansas City Marathon yesterday, my friend Adrienne and I realized that the winner of the 1/2 marathon was right behind us. (We beat him, but just barely.) In our defense, we finished the brisk stroll all caught up with news of children, family and friends. And our hair and makeup still looked fresh.
  • After completing the half-marathon, daughter Katy confessed that she had only run three miles once to train. (But did walk their large and energetic dog, Tex, on a regular basis.) Ahh, youth.
  • Panera Bread, and any restaurant, really, should let you know they are out of ice when you order iced tea. Especially before encouraging you to upgrade to a large. (And how do you run out of ice?)
  • I forgot that fall showed up in other areas of the world. Central Texas is "greened" out again after all the rain, so the beautifully unexpected fall colors of Missouri took my breath away.
  • How does Starbucks run out of Pumpkin Spice for lattes? (At least they told me before taking my money.)
  • A young man just came to the ticket counter to find out: "Can I get a new seat for my fiancee, I mean my wife--we got married yesterday--can we get seats together? Ours are separated." A collective sigh went up from everyone in ear shot, and I'm pretty sure if the computer had not shown side-by-side seats, we'd have made changes to accommodate them ourselves.
  • Young son-in-law interviews for a job in Pennsylvania on Wednesday. (Pray!) I have to fly to Missouri to see them anyway, what difference would a flight involving a couple of more states make? (Until there are grandchildren...)
This weekend felt normal and comfortable with old friends and family. When we planned this excursion in August, I wasn't sure how it would go. Not to worry. There is still some fog swirling around my head, but parts of the future are becoming a little more focused. It's OK to go on; it's OK to plan for the future.

It's not OK to run out of ice or pumpkin spice.

No comments: