Sunday, June 20, 2010

In the Summertime...

First off, did you notice my new blog header? It was done by a dear family friend; a girl I taught in first grade who now has a daughter of her own  almost that age. You can see her precious one here. I think A is the cutest little girl  anywhere. Until my future granddaughters are born. Thanks, Autumn, for being inspired by my "view from Ireland". I love it! You should go into bloggy header business.

OK. On to today's post.

Every summer there comes a time, and usually it happens as I'm walking across a sea of asphalt parking lot, when I think, "WHAT AM I DOING LIVING IN TEXAS IN SUMMER?" That time was this weekend. My first mistake was looking at the heat index in the paper: 105 degrees. My second mistake was going shopping in the middle of the afternoon in that heat. My final mistake was wearing tennis shoes, because I'm pretty sure I left the rubber soles somewhere in between JC Penneys and Office Max. 

So, I did what any sensible person in central Texas would do: I went home, cranked up the A/C, got a glass of iced tea,  and checked out NetFlix online. I've renewed my subscription because I am a teacher, it is summer, and can you say, "Free Time"?

I will have to admit that Summer Free Time is not the friend to me it used to be. This summer seems to stretch out before me with endless amounts of time. This is compounded by the fact that most of my house is still a work in progress due to the continuing work of painters. I can't seem to get anything done around their work. I am stuck in neutral, and it is a hard gear to get out of.

I realize during the school year, I could stay pretty busy and not think about missing Dave. School came to a screeching halt, and I am aware of my aloneness 24 hours a day. If I don't pick up the phone to call a friend, or answer the phone when a friend calls, I really can go days at a stretch without seeing or talking to anyone. 

Except in Dillion, Texas. Because I attended a solo reunion with "Friday Night Lights", Season 1 this weekend. I watched all 22 episodes of the Panthers on their way to the State Title. I'll do the math for you: 16 1/2 hours of total viewing. Disturbing? But so worth it.

 Have you seen this show? It is filmed in my town, and I love watching it to see what locations I recognize. The acting is incredible. The story lines are gripping. And if you have 16 hours or so to spare, you should watch it online. Or have a life instead. It's your choice.

Looking for more structure and more time with friends this summer. And realizing what a blessing Dave was to me.

3 comments:

Buttercup said...

I love your header. I'm actually jealous, but it is so cute and I very much doubt if I could do it.
Being single I think about too much "alone" time. It's not an issue now. The weekends are crowded with things I don't get done during the week, but it's an issue when I think of retiring and it honestly scares me.

Lynn said...

Your new header is great! I need to figure out how to put one on my blog.

I so know what you mean about alone time. I had a melt down on the weekend just thinking about getting old alone. I watched the movie "Dad", with Jack Lemmon and Ted Danson and it really got me thinking about retirement and aging. I know the Lord will take care of me same as He all along and I just have to trust and rely on that.

If I didn't work full time I would spend way too much time alone. I'm glad you have friends and family close by that you can call and do things with as well.

susan said...

love love love the new title block. so cute and creative. just like its author.
the office went on a road trip today to a client. among the varied topics - Dave's name came up. we lovingly remembered (as we often do) how he would quietly join a conversation with the greatest wit, unequaled knowledge and the brightest twinkle in his eye. he will always be part of the office and our hearts. stop by anytime. our doors are always open to you. wide open.