Wednesday, June 2, 2010

The Last Day of School

175 school days later, we have reached our final destination: the last day of school. What are those last days like you ask? See the picture above for an accurate depiction. And these are my quiet girls.
My sweet daughter Katy mailed me this t-shirt she made for me to wear the last day of school. This is the front...
...and this is the back. You see, I'm moving up to second grade with this group! Saying good-by was no problem for the Bumblebees, because we will all be saying hello again in August. Can't wait. (Actually, I can wait until I've had a looooong rest. June through August should suffice.)

The students loved this shirt. Dave always said that teachers were the only people on earth who would wear this type of clothing. Only he used more colorful adjectives to describe them. He was right. At various times in my teaching career, I have dressed as a red crayola, a blue M&M and Junior Asparagus from Veggie Tales. And those were the ones my own personal children would tolerate and be seen in the same room with me.

This shirt also sparked a conversation among teachers as to, "What is the worst teacher-themed accessory you have ever been given and/ or you have worn?" 

Me first! One year a student gave me a ginormous necklace that included real sharpened pencils. One of the teachers wanted to know if the points faced "up" toward my neck. Well, no. And I did not run with my scissor necklace, either.

Thanks for a great school year parents and students! I will miss you and I appreciated all your help and support this year. See you in August!

7 comments:

Buttercup said...

I love the shirt and your first graders are adorable. Have a wonderful summer! Look forward to hearing all about it.

Craig Weeks said...

Katy = effortlessly creative.

Dawn said...

So, did you sleep in this morning? Or did your internal clock wake you up at your usual time???

Be blessed!

Lynn said...

Love the shirt!!

Anonymous said...

I'd like to be in your class, if I were 8 years old again! I envy you, that your school year is done. With 100 + degree weather in you neck of the woods, I'm not surprised!

kstein said...

glad you liked the shirt i made you! thought you would appreciate all the "shiny things to touch" right at chest-level :) glad you had a great last day...enjoy the summer, you have surely earned it! love you sweet momma!

(PS: did you like how your "bee" had eyelash-google-eyes?)

Sarah said...

I love the shirt! They're moving up with you? Thinking back on my old teaching days, I think that could be either wonderful or awful. Sounds like wonderful. You and your students are blessed. Happy summer!!