Saturday, November 28, 2009

Thanksgiving Holidays

It's been a very full and busy few days around here. We had Wednesday off from school, and people from my church showed up to paint my house! The weather was beautiful, and it was wonderful just to be outside in the cool and sunshine. We are a long way from the record breaking heat of  a Texas summer, and for that we are all very thankful.

This family is dear to my heart. I taught their son/grandson in kindergarten and third grade. He is now a high school junior and was also a painter that day. Three generations showed up to paint and bless my heart.

This guy painted diligently for hours. I had his sister in second grade and he is one of the hardest workers you will ever see.
And this? It's my new front door! Not red yet, but getting there. 
Thank you friends for your love and hard work. I am very thankful for you all!
On Thursday, we had lunch at Loyal Sister's house. Our tribe has dwindled, but a good time was had by all. Young Son came home with me to help me figure out how to unplug and reconfigure all the electronics in D's office that are no longer in use. We got to have a good long talk about his present plans (graduate in May from college), his future plans (teach abroad in South Korea, Thailand or South Africa) and our dream to go on an Alaska cruise. At the same time I headed for bed, he headed for a party with friends. Ahhh, youth.

And what is this? Friday's alarm going off!
Obviously it is AM not PM. A friend from High School (whose son married my daughter...if you've read this blog long, you know how much I love repeating that phrase as often as possible...) and her daughters came to pick me up for predawn shopping. It was not for the faint of heart.

HEB Plus (if you are not from Texas: it is a grocery store on steroids) opened at 5:00 am. When we arrived, the line snaked around the building and around the entire complex. It began moving quickly. We reached the front door at 5:03 am and a man was already emerging with a discounted big screen TV. We have a winner!

The scene below was amazing for the sheer amount of people who are willing to be squeezed into a small space for all manner of deeply discounted electronics. To their credit, the store set up quasi-town criers to announce when the department was out of Wii's or flat screen specials, so you could move onto the $5 board games or $3 DVDs.
The end of the trail was the outlet mall a few miles from my house. I never think to shop there, but this sweet family was determined to find the sales. It was very helpful that one of the daughters is a fashion merchandising major who will graduate in a few weeks. It was kind of like having my own personal fashion consultant who knew her way around a Coach store. (Well, really any apparel-related store.)

And did I mention Coach? I found a bargain too good to pass up and I am now the proud owner of a bag that that was just what I wanted! And it was half off of half off plus 50% off and an additional 20% off for being there before 7 am. (Could I make that up?) I think they may have given me money to take it. If you know me at all, you are aware that I am not a shopper and rarely splurge on myself. This was evidenced by the replying text from my Married Daughter, "A Chi, red luggage and now a Coach bag? Who are you and what have you done with my mother!"
"Strings of street lights, even stop lights
Blink a bright red and green,
As the shoppers rush home with their treasures..."

Today holds a trip to the metropolis of Waco to meet another daughter for lunch (accompanied by Loyal Sister) and catch up on her life. And there may be  a few stops on the interstate to peruse some great antique stores on the way... 

So thankful for family and friends who bless me continually.

6 comments:

Craig Weeks said...

Let me step out of character for the ever so briefest moment Mrs. O and point out that people love to help you because of the way *you* blessed them first. You know how long we've basked in your blessing. You are the visual illustration for the Wikipedia article on "pay it forward". Well, if there is one. I like this phrase so I am not going to let the fact that it might be pure fiction hinder me. And now ... we return you to our regular programming.

Only a true Morning Person would have the presence of mind to grab a camera at 3:54am. Go on, admit it. You know you are one. But it takes one to know one. (Do they still say that in first grade? Or has it been replaced by something from the 'hood?) Why haven't we taken over the world yet? After all, there's no one up that early to stop us.

Pictures from HEB Plus stir my soul. Can the 90% off shelf at Hobby Lobby be far behind? Oh ... how ... I ... love ... the ... 21st ... century.

Heard on Facebook yesterday: "We are not so poor that we have to get in that line." (Midnight at Toys 'R Us)

By my calculations you got the Coach bag (I would have said "purse" but I have Y Chromosome Syndrome) for 59 cents. Score. Word. Or some other early 21st century colloquialism of affirmation with a very short half-life.

It's a good thing you are going to see someone you care about. After all this, Waco would be ... well ... Waco.

(I promise I proofread all of this. But I know that 1.14 seconds after I hit "send" or "publish" or ... whatever ... I will see a missing word ... or a misspelling ... or the wrong word that vaguely resembles the correct word. It may be related to the YCS mentioned above. My 6th grade teacher was the first one to detect it. Experience supports the argument that there is no known cure.)

Dawn said...

We were at the outlet mall yesterday, too. Wish I'd known you were there - I'd have loved to have given you a hug and gotten a look at the Coach bag they paid you to take off their hands! Ha! My kids racked up on clothes (mostly from Aeropostal) and I got a new crock pot!

I am so pleased for you that all the love and care you've given others over the years is coming back to you during this season of life. It's wonderful when our Christian "family" is able to love on each other in practical ways.

Hope you're having a wonderful day in Waco!

Buttercup said...

You're a braver woman than I am. Still traumatized by the memory -- six years ago? -- of being stuck in the parking lot of the giant outlet mall about an hour from NYC. The Coach bag sounds awesome.

Anonymous said...

What a fun day with you friend, we were so excited you joined us on our silly traditional Black Friday Adventure, when we go looking for great deals, for just the fun of it!
You are blessed with great friends, but you are such a blessing to us!!!
Happy Sunday!

Anonymous said...

Dee from Tennessee

Good for you!! I just squinted at the clock, and then I snuggled under the covers a wee bit more! (But I made my mother ..83 yrs young on Sat.....a cherry yum yum pie, and I have NEVER done that. We joked that my "cooking" might give her a heart attack..lol.)

Just now had fun reading your comments....!

Anonymous said...

So do tell! Have you had the guts to start using the coach purse....have you had the guts to put a pen in it yet?!??! I bet it looks great on you!!! Isn't it fun to carry around high fashion!!! NEXT you will be wearing boots over your JEANS!!!!