Monday, December 27, 2010

The Return Trip of Over the River and Through the Woods...

Yesterday, I sent Married Daughter and Loyal Son-in-law off at dawn for their 30-hour drive back to Pennsylvania. They wanted to beat the much trumpeted blizzard heading that way.

I went to church, took a delicious nap, and looked around at all the cleaning that needed to be done.

And I walked out of the house and went to a movie. There are a few pluses to living alone. (And PS: the mess was still there when I returned and the earth did not shift on its axis.)

While I was gone I got a call from a precious teacher friend to go out for hot chocolate. We closed Starbucks down with our then-cold chocolate, and talked in the cold car until we could no longer feel our hands and feet. We're caught up, and a good time was had by all.

I spent the night sleeping and listening for update texts from the cross-country travelers. I'm writing this 29 hours after they left my driveway, and just got the message they are an hour from home with no road problems.

Thoughts? Thank you, Lord and oh! to be that young that you can drive 30 hours without stopping! ( I put in many years of 24-hour road trips to Chicago to see relatives in my 20s. I know that it takes about a year to forget the drive, and sign back up to do it again the next holiday.)

Plans for today? Still in my jammies. Totally completed the crossword puzzle. Preparing to go find the shovel to clean out the living room from the debris of Christmas. And loving the thought of one week off to do whatever I want. Oh, teaching profession, you are so good to me.

And my own Christmas miracle? Surrounded by friends and family in my home, I did not feel sad. Not even one time. The memories of D are becoming the Happy Ones, and I am so very grateful for that.

Looking forward to the New Year.

1 comment:

Buttercup said...

So happy you had a great Christmas and wishes for a wonderful week. Love the idea of time in jammies with a crossword.