Saturday, June 20, 2009

Changing of the Guard

My daughter K has been here for a week and a half helping out around our home: cooking, cleaning, assisting with doctor visits, and generally cheering us all up with her sweetness. Today she flies home to her husband and dog, who I am sure are both waiting with open arms. Or paws.

There is something so incredibly precious about adult children returning home. (Because they WANT to!)  I just got an email from a friend in Oklahoma who was surprised with a visit by her daughter for Father's Day weekend. N has just graduated from college and taken her first job in a neighboring state. I'm sure they will have lots to share during this unexpected but special visit. My friend J calls this a "serendipity": a blessing that falls into your life. Like children.

So, K goes home today, but D's daughter H came in last night and will spend Father's Day weekend with him. It's kind of like the kids are playing tag team. We plan to fly D's daughter E down from her college in Washington State after we get the newest update from the oncologist on Tuesday. And Young Son in Costa Rica completing Study Abroad is staying current of the situation.

I read a lot of young mommy blogs, and I remember the blessings and frustrations of constant demands from little ones. But this side of childhood is the payoff.  I love "The Message" version of a very familiar proverb:

"Point your kids in the right direction-
When they're old they won't be lost."
Proverbs 22:6

May they always know the way home.

No comments: