Thursday, July 23, 2009

Good Grief

Today I was reading one of my favorite blogs, Big Mama (a fellow Texan), and she wrote about things she had learned since her graduation from high school 20 years ago here.

(20 years ago! I should have a PhD in life experience according to my high school graduation year!)

I started thinking about what I know for sure in this journey called life, especially with the fresh and unexpected turn in my road recently. Every time my pastor has prayed for me lately, he has prayed that I would have "good grief", and that thought intrigues me. It helps me remember that in a heart that continues to be throbbing with pain, there must be some positive things being germinated, taking root, or being planted. (Can you tell I just spent time watering my garden?)

So, here are some of the observations that are able to seep through the fog that lives around my brain these days:

  • Time is a great healer. (It just takes too long.)
  • "I didn't cause it, I can't fix it, but I can cope" were wise words spoken to me years ago that still help me through tough situations.
  • H.A.L.T. : Don't make any decisions while you are hungry, angry, lonely or tired.
  • Be nice to everyone you meet because you are going to run into them again. I promise.
  • Give grace as generously as you can, because you are certainly going to need grace often.
  • Family and friends are the most precious possession you will ever have: tend to them often.
  • When you graduate from college, you need to be able to call yourself something. (Not: "I majored in sociology" but "I am a teacher" or "a nurse" or "a journalist".)
  • Someone who was famous for wearing one rhinestoned glove should not still be the lead news item almost a month after his death. (Stop the insanity!)
  • Chew with your mouth closed. 
  • Say your prayers.
  • Take the side of the teacher in front of your children. (Disagree with the teacher in side discussions that children can't hear.)
  • Seek first the kingdom of God, and His righteousness, and all things will be added after that. (Not original to  me.)
So. Do you have any wisdom that this life has taught you? I'd love to hear it.


6 comments:

Gromitigo said...

"I get by with a little help from my friends."

"All you need is love."


Etc, etc :)

Lisa said...

Saw your comment on The Big Mama Blog & was intrigued because you graduated the same year I did. I also am a hugh fan of JOY and on most days take full advantage of every ounce of it. I'm also a fellow Texan transplanted to Oklahoma.

I was very sad to read about your husband. I'm sure you've read this verse before but it never hurts to be reminded.

I will build you up again and you will be rebuilt, (insert your name). Again you will take up your tambourines and go out to dance with the joyful. Jer 31:4

Lisa

Jennifer said...

LOVE YOUR LIST...

Anonymous said...

Dee from Tennessee

I've learned that Jesus truly is the sweetest name I know.

And I learned this summer that God thought enough of me, just little ol' me, to send angels when I was in distress. For me, a nobody, but He did and I am so thankful.

It's an old saying, but it's true...I don't know what my future holds, but thankfully I know Who holds my future. (sorry for going on and on!)

Gina said...

I stumbled on to your blog from Big Mama when I saw that we graduated the same year. Reading so many mommy blogs, I long to find other bloggers in my age group.
I took some time today to read through your past posts. I am so sorry for your loss. I hope that you find comfort in the God of all comfort as He walks with you through this grief journey.
Thanks for sharing your thoughts. I hope to drop by from time to time.
God bless.

asteinocher said...

Funny, Went to read Big Mama's blog and started reading some of the comments. Saw on that referred to graduating in 1976... I thought I like the way she thinks then looked at who it was from!!
YOu! K&C's mom!! My dear friend who graduated with me~!~! and Is the dear friend I don't have to explain life to!
:) Great list, laughed at Big Mama's but realated to yours!
~A